Uncertainty for international students in Sweden over their residence permits

study in sweden education news by prodirekt

Under the country’s law, the Swedish Migration Agency can only issue a student with a residence permit if more than 50% of their course is conducted on campus, according to a report by schengenvisainfo.com. However, uncertainty remains as to how campuses will be organized in the coming academic year, and institutions have warned they may need to continue teaching remotely

While the Swedish Migration Agency has said that a residence permit can only be granted if 50% of a course is conducted on campus, it expects studies to be held at universities by spring.

“This means that if you study a full academic year, you only need to have a small part of the teaching on campus during the autumn semester in order to be able to receive a permit for the entire time,” a statement on the Migration Agency’s website reads.

The Migration Agency said that if by autumn, it appears that campuses won’t be able to open in spring, then the Agency’s assessment may change.

For those students who are currently in Sweden at universities where courses are being taught primarily remotely and who need to extend their residence permits, the Migration Agency has recommended that they “wait as long as possible to apply for an extension”.

Despite issues with Covid-19, Sweden has remained a popular destination for international students. In May, The PIE News reported that international students seeking to study degree courses in Sweden have increased on the previous year’s figures.

Source: The PIE News

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: